MOPAC Train Depot
The historic MOPAC Train Depot was built in 1905 by the St. Louis, Brownsville & Mexican Railway Builder as part of the Gulf Coast Lines. Chartered on June 6, 1903, the St. Louis, Brownsville & Mexico Railway (also known as the Brownie) was a 200-mile (321 km) railroad that operated from Brownsville,Texas to Gulf Coast Junction in Houston, Texas. It served numerous towns and cities along its routes.
The MOPAC Train Depot operated from 1905 – 1984. Donated to the City of Bay City in 1984. This was the first depot donated to a city in this area.
MOPAC Screaming Eagle Caboose
In the esplanade next to the Train Depot is the MOPAC Screaming Eagle 13066 Caboose. A caboose is a manned North American railroad car coupled at the end of a freight train. Cabooses provide shelter for crew at the end of a train, who were long required for switching and shunting, and to keep a lookout for load shifting, damage to equipment and cargo, and overheating axles.
This is a "Short Bay Window Caboose" with a 17 feet, 10-1/8 inches cabin with bay widows, centered on frame; 41 feet, 7-3/4 inches over coupler pulling faces; 51,800 pounds light weight. Removed from service 17 Oct 1988 and donated to City of Bay City.