To submit a job application online click here.
To print out a job application and turn it in personally click here.
- Type:Full Time
- Salary/Pay Rate:$13.02/hr - $17.62/Hhr
- Posted Date:06/06/2019
Under the general supervision of the Parks and Recreation Supervisor, the Parks Specialist participates in all activities relating to mowing of city property and city facilities. Responsible for performing maintenance, janitorial, mowing, trimming, and spraying of all assigned properties. Will perform other duties as assigned.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Clean and maintain assigned properties and facilities. Janitorial and custodial duties involving restrooms, facilities and grounds.
- Mow assigned City properties.
- Perform maintenance and cleaning of city buildings, city parks, and athletic fields.
- Set up, take down, and work Parks and Recreation events and programs.
- Work with minimum supervision and make decisions regarding safe and effective repair methods.
- Conduct pre-trip inspections. Report maintenance issues to immediate supervisor.
- Perform annual fall tree trimming.
- Display good decision making abilities.
- Performs preventative maintenance on equipment.
- Clean assigned equipment and related tools as required.
- Works overtime as required to complete assigned tasks.
- Participates in on-call rotation schedule as required to perform the duties of the position.
- Participate as first responders in emergency situations (i.e. tropical storms, hurricanes, and tornadoes, train derailments, hazardous material spills, etc.).
- Abides by all policies, procedures, rules, etc. associated with the City’s Safety Program.
JOB QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS:
- A minimum of one (1) year of on the job training related to Parks and Recreation, or have at least one (1) year of experience operating mower equipment and tools.
- Knowledge of and proficient in, the use of tools and equipment required in maintenance and repair activities.
- Knowledge of and ability to follow safety procedures used on the job.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to work independently and make decisions.
- Ability to teach subordinates through demonstration.
- Ability to perform basic math functions to layout and estimate materials needed for job.
- Must have good communication skills; requires a calm demeanor in responding to customer questions/and or complaints, and dealing with the general public in everyday activities.
- Ability to work within established guidelines.
- Ability to perform repetitious tasks.
- Ability to use and operate pick-up truck, dump truck, tractor, forklift, front-end loader, dozer, and miscellaneous power tools.
- Must participate in employee performance evaluations in accordance with the City of Bay City Employee Guidelines for City Employees.
- Must pass a medical physical examination and drug test.
- Must pass a criminal background check.
- High School diploma or GED.
- Formal or informal education or training which ensures the ability to read and write at a level necessary for successful job performance.
- Valid Class C Texas State Driver's License and safe driving record.
- To perform this job successfully, the person in this position must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
- Bilingual in English and Spanish.
- First-Aid/CPR Certified.
- Certified Flagger or previous experience as a flagger.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS OF THE POSITION:
- Endurance/Moving About: Frequently (1/3 to 2/3 of the time). Move from location to location.
- Endurance/Overall strength: Heavy work. Exerts force and/or lifts or carries objects weighing up to 150 pounds occasionally.
- Walking: Constantly (up to 2/3 of the time). Move about on foot.
- Sitting: Frequently (1/3 or more of the time).
- Lifting/Carrying: Periodic. Lift by manually raising or lowering an object from one level to another (including upward pulling), and/or carry transport and object, usually holding it in the hands or arms, or on the shoulder.
- Pushing/Pulling: Periodic. Push by exerting force on an object so that it moves away from the force or worker (including slapping, striking, kicking, and treadle actions); and/or pull by exerting force on an object so that it moves toward the force or worker (including jerking).
- Controls: Frequently (1/3 to 2/3 of the time). Use one or both arms and/or hands and /or one or either feet or legs to move controls on machinery or equipment.
- Climbing Periodic. Ascend or descend ladders, stairs, scaffolding, ramps, poles, ropes, and the like using the feet and legs and /or hands and arms.
- Balancing: Periodic. Maintain body equilibrium to prevent falling when walking, standing, crouching, or running on narrow, slippery or erratically moving surfaces.
- Bending/Stooping: Periodic. Stoop by bending the body downward or forward by flexing the spine at the waist, and /or bend by extending the spine backward or from side to side.
- Kneeling/Crouching: Periodic. Kneel by bending the legs at the knees to come to rest on the knee or knees, and/or crouch by bending the body downward and forward by bending the legs and spine.
- Crawling: Periodic. Move about on the hands and knees or hands and feet.
- Reaching: Constantly (2/3 or more of the time). Extend hands and arms in any direction.
- Handling: Constantly (up to 2/3 of the time). Seize, hold, grasp, turn or otherwise work with the hand or hands.
- Rotation: Frequently (1/3 to 2/3 of the time). Twist and turn the spine or a ball and socket joint such as the shoulder or hip.
- Talking: Constantly (2/3 or more of the time). Express or exchange ideas by means of the spoken word to impart oral information to clients or to the public and convey detailed spoken instructions to other workers accurately, loudly or quickly.
- Hearing: Constantly (2/3 or more of the time). Perceive the nature of sounds by the ear.
- Seeing: Constantly (2/3 or more of the time). Obtain impressions through the eyes of the shape, size, distance, motion, color or other characteristics of objects.
- Reading: Read design drawings, written reports and instructions.
- Writing: Able to accurately record information and summary of events.
- Location: Both inside and outside. Work is spent inside (where there is protection from weather, but not necessarily from temperature changes) and outside (where there may be no effective protection from weather).
- Extreme Cold: Endure temperature(s) sufficiently low to cause marked bodily discomfort unless exceptional protection is used.
- Extreme Heat: Endure temperature(s) sufficiently high to cause marked bodily discomfort unless exceptional protection is used.
- Wet Conditions: Endure contact with water or other liquids.
- Noise / Vibration: Periodic. Occasionally endure noises, either constant or intermittent while at work sites.
- Smell: Fumes chemicals, or toxic substances.
- Requires 24 hour on-call status for emergency situations.
- Shift work (including weekends and holidays) may be required.
None. May act as lead worker based upon experience or as required.
Receive direction from the Parks and Recreation Supervisor and/or the Director of Parks and Recreation.
Normal working hours are from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. with one hour for lunch. Overtime may be required. In emergencies may be called into work and work schedule will be adjusted during the emergency. Subject to on-call schedule.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.
The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the City of Bay City and the employee and is subject to change by the City of Bay City as the needs of the City and requirements of the job change. The City of Bay City is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
In compliance with the American’s with Disability Act, the City will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective employees and incumbents to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.
Formal application or letter of interest, rating of education and experience; oral interview, reference and criminal background checks, and drug screens are required. In addition, job related tests may also be required.