Setting Up an Account
In order to set up an account, you must come to the Utility Billing Office at City Hall. Accounts cannot be set up over the phone or online.
You will need a government-issued photo ID and a proper deposit (see below). If you're renting or leasing a property, you will need either a lease or a letter stating your agreement and permission to live there.
Deposit per Unit
|Apartments||Varies by number of units|
|Hotels||Varies by number of units|
If you owe any amount on another account or address, you must pay that amount in full before opening your new account.
Most accounts set up at City Hall before 2:30 PM will be turned on the same day; however, nothing is guaranteed.
Transferring Your Address
If you move to another address in Bay City, simply come into the Utility Billing Office and request a transfer. Your previous deposit will transfer. There is a $15 fee for this service that will be applied to your first bill.
Paying Your Bill
The City of Bay City offers five ways to pay your Utility Bill:
- You can drop your payment off in the Night Drop box located on the backside of City Hall (1901 5th St.) Please make sure that there is a way to identify what account the payment is for.
- You can pay at the Utility Billing Office window or drive-thru Monday - Friday, 8:00AM - 5:00PM.
- You can pay online anytime here.
- You can put your bill on auto-draft by clicking here. Auto-draft is pulled from your given bank account on the 15th of every month for the full amount of your bill. Please note that in the event that your auto-draft is denied, your water can be cut off if payment is not made.
- You can mail your payment to: Utility Billing, 1901 5th St., Bay City, TX, 77414
Policy on bill payment:
- NO payments will be taken over the phone.
- All payments done with a Credit/Debit card must be accompanied by a photo ID with the name matching that on the card.
- All returned checks will be charged a $25 service fee.
Type of Fee
|Late Fee||10% of the total bill or $10 (whichever is greater)||Added to any bill that is not paid on the 20th of each month|
|Reactivation Fee||Up to $300||Must be paid in order to reactivate any water that was disconnected due to non-payment|
|Tampering Fee||$50||This fee is charged for anyone who appears to have tampered with any of the Utility Department's equipment.|
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the minimum bill?
The minimum bill for residential accounts is $58.34. The minimum bill includes waste services, up to 2,000 gallons of water, and up to 2,000 gallons of sewage.
Can I put a credit on my account?
Yes, it will be automatically applied to your next bill.
Do you have a pool credit?
No, we no longer offer a pool credit.
Is there a sewage credit?
No, we do not offer a sewage credit.
Where do I report a missed trash pick up?
You can report that to WCA at 979-245-0368.
Where do I sign-up for trash service?
Signing up for trash service can be done at the Utility Billing Office.
When will my water be turned on?
We try to turn on all water the same day that is activated prior to 2:30pm. However, the is not guaranteed. All water that is not turned on the same day that it was activated will be turned on the following business day.
What if my water looks discolored or smells?
Please call our Waste Water Treatment Plant at 979-323-1110 and report it to them.
If we did not answer your question, please call us at (979) 245-2322.