You must obtain permission from the Court prior to taking a Driving Safety Course.
- You must enter a plea of Guilty or No Contest
- You must possess a valid Texas Driver's License
- You must possess valid automobile insurance
- You cannot have taken the course within the last 12 months.
- You must not be a Commercial Driver's License holder.
- You must pay the State Court Costs and Administrative fee of $137 if the violation occurred in a school zone or $112 otherwise.
- The violation cannot have occurred in a construction zone when workers were present.
If you meet these requirements, you will sign a DSC affidavit and provide your license and insurance to the clerk so that photocopies can be made. You will have 90 days to complete the course of your choosing (as long as it is a Texas Education Agency approved course) and provide the court with the completion certificate. If you do not take the course within the allotted time, you will not be allowed a refund of the administrative fee.