To submit a job application online click here.
To print out a job application and turn it in personally click here.
- Type:Full Time
- Salary/Pay Rate:$20.44/HR.
- Posted Date:10/19/2017
Interested applicants must contact Sgt. James Reckaway at the Bay City Police Department
firstname.lastname@example.org or (979) 245-8500
Under minimal supervision of the Corporal, a Police Officer is required to patrol the city enforcing state and city laws, respond to emergency calls and takes necessary action. Direct traffic, issue citations and investigate accidents. Prepares patrol, offensive and arrest reports; advise citizens regarding laws and ordinances; and other duties as assigned.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Investigate citizen complaints, motor vehicle accidents, all crimes against persons and property.
- Respond to domestic disturbances, fights, calls of loud music and noises.
- Close patrol of residencies and businesses.
- Enforcement of traffic laws, including DWI.
- Arrest offenders when probable cause exists and write all applicable reports.
- Attend scheduled training sessions and demonstrate competent weapons proficiency.
- Testify in courts and grand jury when needed.
- Respond to calls concerning animals and vicious dogs.
- Escort funeral processions.
- Wrestle with hostile subjects and take appropriate action against resisting offenders.
- Required to preserve crime scenes and malfunctioning traffic lights.
- Be able to take orders from supervisors and detectives.
- Be able to run after fleeing suspects and perform building searches.
- Perform CPR and administer first aid.
JOB QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS:
- Must have successfully completed the police academy.
- Must complete a rigorous agility test as a pre-employment of the Police Officer position, and must maintain the physical ability requirements for the Police Officer position.
- Must obtain a current Basic Peace Officer TCLEOSE certification, within fifteen (15) months of employment.
- Working knowledge of Texas laws.
- Must have good communication skills and public relations skills dealing with the general public in everyday activities.
- Must pass a medical physical examination and drug test.
- Must pass a criminal background check.
- Must not have any felony convictions or Class A or B misdemeanor convictions.
- Must not be on probation for a criminal offense or been discharged from military service under less than honorable conditions.
- Must not have been convicted or placed on probation of any type by any state or federal government for driving while intoxicated or driving under the influence of drugs in the last ten (10) years.
- Must be at least 21 years of age.
- High School diploma or GED.
- Valid Class C Texas State Driver's License and safe driving record.
- Skills in typing various documents and correspondence.
- Ability to tactfully respond to requests and inquiries from the general public, other departments, and employees.
- Ability to learn City and department policies and procedures.
- Ability to simultaneously perform a variety of clerical functions.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to flexibly adapt to a variety of work situations and interruptions.
- Ability to type at a speed necessary for successful job performance.
- Ability to work independently in the absence of supervision.
- Ability to use and operate a vehicle and other miscellaneous office equipment.
- Ability to work within established guidelines.
- Must participate in employee performance evaluations in accordance with the City of Bay City Employee Guidelines for City Employees and the Bay City Police Department Manual.
Receive direction from the Corporal, Sergeant, Lieutenant of Patrol Commander and/or Captain.
Normal working hours are from 6:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. with one hour for lunch. However, normal working hours may change at any time at the direction of the Chief of the Police. Long and irregular hours may be required to complete assigned tasks and/or projects. In the event of emergencies, may be called into work and work schedule will be adjusted during the emergency.
EXPECTATIONS OF ALL CITY EMPLOYEES:
- Support City and Department goals and objectives.
- Serve and meet the needs of our citizens during routine or emergency situations.
- Ability and willingness to work as part of a team, demonstrate team skills, and perform a fair share of team responsibilities.
- Plan and organize his/her work, time and resources, and, if applicable, that of subordinates.
- Contribute to the development of others, to the Department, and the City.
- Produce desired work outcomes including quality, quantity and timeliness.
- Communicate effectively with peers, supervisors, subordinates and people to whom service is provided.
- Understand and value differences in employees and value input from others.
- Consistently report to work and work assignments prepared and on schedule.
- Consistently display a positive behavior with regard to work, willingly accept constructive criticism and be respectful of others.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.
The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the City of Bay City and the employee and is subject to change by the City of Bay City as the needs of the City and requirements of the job change. The City of Bay City is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
In compliance with the American’s with Disability Act, the City will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective employees and incumbents to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.
Formal application or letter of interest, rating of education and experience; oral interview, reference and criminal background checks, and drug screens are required. In addition, job related tests may also be required.