Charter Review Commission Meeting
- Date: 01/09/2018 6:00 PM - 7:00 PM
- Location: City Hall
1901 5th Street
Bay City, Texas 77414
- Introduction: Charter Review Commission Meeting at City Council Chambers at City Hall. The Commission is chaired by Dustin Hodges.
Section 16.02 - Charter Review Commission
Council shall appoint a Charter Review Commission of nine qualified voters in June of the second year after approval of this Charter and every fifth June thereafter. Council shall serve on the Commission as ex-officio, voting members. The City Secretary shall serve as secretary to the Commission in a non-voting capacity. The City Attorney shall serve on the Commission in a non-voting, legal advisory capacity.
a) Duties of the Commission:
(1) Inquire into the operation of the City Government and determine whether any Charter provisions require revision. The Commission shall have the power to hold public hearings, compel the attendance of any officer or employee of the City, and compel the production of any City records.
(2) Propose recommendations for City departments to insure compliance with this Charter.
(3) Propose Charter amendments, if any, to the Council.
b) Term of Office:
The term of office of this Charter Review Commission shall be six calendar months from appointment date. Prior to the end of the term, a written report shall be presented to Council, and all Commission records shall be filed with the City Secretary as a public record.
C) Action by the Council:
Upon receipt of any written report from the Commission, the Council shall within ten days, make copies available to the public at City Hall and publish a synopsis of the report in the official City newspaper. The Council shall consider the report at a public hearing within thirty days of receiving it. The Council may, in its sole discretion, order any amendments recommended by the Commission and/or the Council to be submitted individually to the voters of the City in an election as provided by State law within six months after the term of the Charter Review Commission expires.